What is a Medicare Special Enrollment Period (SEP)?
The Medicare Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is an additional enrollment period for people impacted by specific life changes or events. If one of these events occurs, you have another chance to update your Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug coverage.
The qualifying events for a Medicare SEP include:
- If you’ve moved or are moving to a new address that is outside the coverage boundaries of your original plan. Or if you’ve moved to a location where new plan options are available you would also qualify.
- If you or your spouse worked after turning 65 and delayed enrollment in Original Medicare (Parts A and B) because you had group coverage through work.
- If you’re returning to the United States after living abroad.
- If you’re moving into a skilled nursing facility or long-term care hospital.
- If you’re being released from prison or jail.
Additionally, there is a Medicare Advantage Special Enrollment Period for those who are Dual Eligible or receive Extra Help (also known as Low Income Subsidy).
The Medicare Helpline is a licensed and certified representative of a Medicare Advantage [HMO, PPO and PFFS] organization and a stand-alone prescription drug plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in any plan depends on contract renewal. By completing the contact form above or calling the number listed above, you will be directed to a licensed sales agent who can answer your questions and provide information about Medicare Advantage, Part D or Medicare supplement insurance plans. Availability of carriers and products are dependent on your resident zip code.
The purpose of this communication is the solicitation of insurance. Contact will be made by an insurance agent/producer or insurance company. Medicare Supplement insurance is available to those age 65 and older enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B and in some states to those under age 65 eligible for Medicare due to disability or End Stage Renal disease. Medicare Supplement insurance plans are not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. government or the federal Medicare program.
The Medicare Helpline is not affiliated with any governmental program or agency. Plans can only be changed during certain times of the year.
This is not a complete listing of plans available in your service area. For a complete listing please contact 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048), 24 hours a day/7 days a week or consult www.medicare.gov.