Call to speak with a Licensed Sales Agent 1-833-522-0922 TTY users call: 1-877-486-2048
M-F 8am-7pm CT
What is a Medicare Special Enrollment Period (SEP)?
The Medicare Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is an additional enrollment period for people impacted by specific life changes or events. If one of these events occurs, you have another chance to update your Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug coverage.
The qualifying events for a Medicare SEP include:
- If you’ve moved or are moving to a new address that is outside the coverage boundaries of your original plan. Or if you’ve moved to a location where new plan options are available you would also qualify.
- If you or your spouse worked after turning 65 and delayed enrollment in Original Medicare (Parts A and B) because you had group coverage through work.
- If you’re returning to the United States after living abroad.
- If you’re moving into a skilled nursing facility or long-term care hospital.
- If you’re being released from prison or jail.
Additionally, there is a Medicare Advantage Special Enrollment Period for those who are Dual Eligible or receive Extra Help (also known as Low Income Subsidy).
Know Your Medicare Enrollment Period Options with The Medicare Helpline
Whether it’s your first time enrolling or you need to make adjustments, our licensed insurance agents can provide side-by-side coverage comparisons to make it easier for you to decide which Medicare plan is right for you.
1-833-522-0922 | TTY: 711
Hours: M-F 7am-6pm CT; Sat 9am-2pm CT